May 31, 2019 - June 8, 2019
An event every year that begins at 12:00 am on day fifth of May, repeating until June 8, 2019
“The Pentecost Novena is the first of all novenas, nine days of prayer. After Jesus’ Ascension into heaven, He commanded His disciples to come together in the upper room to devote themselves to constant prayer (Acts 1: 14). They prayed for nine days before receiving the Holy Spirit on Pentecost.”
On May 4, 1897, Pope Leo XIII proclaimed: “We decree and command that throughout the whole Catholic Church, this year and in every subsequent year, a novena shall take place before Whit-Sunday (Pentecost), in all parish churches.” (Encyclical: On the Holy Spirit, para. 13)
Let’s join the world in praying a novena in preparation of Pentecost – beginning on Friday, May 26, the day after Ascension Thursday. Here are links to a few of the Pentecost Novena formats available on the web:
- Novena to the Holy Spirit
- Prepare for Pentecost — Join Fr. Dave Pivonka, TOR, The Wild Goose Project / Vigil Project.
- Burning Bush Novena – developed by Kim Kollins. Multiple formats are available to download and print.
- Pentecost Novena – available on Presentation Ministries Website
- Novena to the Holy Spirit for the Seven Gifts – available from the EWTN website, focusing on the seven sanctifying gifts of the Holy Spirit as mentioned in Isaiah 11
- Holy Spirit Prayers – The Pentecost Sequence (Come, Holy Spirit) and the Veni Creator Spiritus (Come, Holy Ghost, Creator Blest) can both be found on this page.
How can you participate?
Pray the novena in your own prayer time or with your family.
Gather together in your prayer group to pray the novena and as an opportunity to fellowship.
Organize the Pentecost Novena in your parish community. Whether it be a formal event or simply a group of people praying together after daily Mass, this could be a wonderful opportunity for the whole parish. WWCCR website